Every faithful Catholic goes through a season where prayer is difficult. Whether you’re unable to feel God’s presence, get easily distracted, or find yourself avoiding prayer altogether, Dr. Sri points out four reasons why we may struggle in prayer, and what we can do to persevere and build an ever-stronger relationship with God.
4 Reasons We Struggle with Prayer
- Sin - if we haven’t repented of our sins, it will be difficult to pray.
- The devil - the enemy knows how important prayer is for the faithful and he will do everything he can to get you to not pray.
- Humility - God may be trying to humble us.
- God wants to draw out our desire for him.
Tips for Prayer
- Focus on the very beginning of prayer to set the tone.
- Say God’s name with reverence when you make the Sign of the Cross.
- Set an intention for your prayer time.
- Offer the prayer time up to God.